Sunday, October 02, 2005

Big things in small packages

Let me start off by saying that I have a Nintendo DS, which has slowly become the handheld of choice for me. When the DS first came out, nobody seemed to be doing anything impressive with the dual screened system. But now, games like Jump Super Stars, Mario Kart DS, Kirby: Canvas Curse, and Meteos are proving that Nintendo is still the reigning king of the handheld industry. Another key selling point for the DS has been its ability to play Game Boy Advance games. Having said that, you'd think that there's really no reason for me to pick up Nintendo's new Game Boy Micro system. What can I say? I'm a slave to marketing.

So yeah, I picked up a Game Boy Micro today. I could try to justify it to everyone by saying things like "The DS can't use a Link Cable", or "I need to be able to review the new system." ... but that would just be me making excuses. The truth of the matter is, I just think it's pretty damned cool. It's like the iPod Nano ... if you HAVE an iPod already, what purpose does the Nano serve for you? Even so, it's just something really frikkin' cool and you just wanna have it. Well, the Game Boy Micro was MY iPod Nano. Oh, and the Micro DOES do more for GBA games than the DS can. Specifically, the system supports multiplayer games via a Link Cable or Wireless Adapter. Also, I do like the idea of the interchangable faceplates. I'd be willing to bet that it's only a matter of time before companies start offering up promotional collectors edition faceplates marketing their hottest games.

The early buzz about the Micro seems to indicate it's going to be yet another success for Nintendo. Truth be told, so long as companies continue to support Nintendo and the little system that could, the Game Boy line will likely continue to thrive for the foreseeable future. And in the meantime? I'll be kicking back with my cool new fashion accessory ... umm .. for work pruposes of course.

Later.

No comments: