Thursday, January 27, 2011

Opportunities, expanding horizons, and the hell of tech support.

This has been a crazy bit of time on ye ol' calendar for me.  If it's not one thing, it's another.  Now, I don't necessarily mean it's been bad, just a LOT of juggling and the like.  Good stress, bad stress, crazy stress ... sooner or later I think I may take a couple of days and just "decompress" ... but that's later, and this is now.

So I've been thinking a lot about the work I've done and what's to come.  Y'know, I love what I do and I'm passionate about it.  But honestly there are days I'd love to trade in the "freelance" tag for something just a wee bit more stable.  It'd just be nice to have a place to, as I've put it, hang my hat.  Like just about anything in life, there are perks and pitfalls to working solo and to being part of the team.  I've played on one side of the fence for a while, and boy that grass on the other side is looking pretty damned green right about now.



Having said that, I've added yet another little task to my ever growing checklist of things to do.  Alongside things like keeping up with my freelance writing and developing my  original IP/script, I'm also actively looking for something new.  To that end, I had a couple of interviews with Sony Online to end last year, and I've got another interview (actually a second one, on-site) with an applied research lab dedicated to social media this week.  Don't worry guys ... even if I start doing something new, it doesn't mean I'm dropping my writing in any way.  That's right, you're still going to see me and my witty repartee all over the place.  I'll still be working on the IP and I'll still be writing about comic books, video games, and all that good stuff.

On a different note, my poor, dependable computer has finally started to give up the ghost.  Last week, the video chip in my laptop apparently fried.  Sure, I managed to bypass it by disabling it, but it's a lot like putting a Band-Aid on a sucking chest wound.  And, in a stroke of genius, the exceedingly knowledgeable and helpful gentleman I spoke with at HP support decided I just wasn't really worth his time to deal with.  I was first directed to a website focusing on a replacement settlement nVidia had reached with consumers concerning its 8600m graphics processor.  Oddly, while my laptop DOES have the bad chip and it failed in the exact way the settlement outlined, my laptop model was NOT covered in the deal.  The second knowledgeable and helpful gentleman at HP support then told me that for $400 + shipping and repair costs, they'd replace the motherboard with one that still had the same 8600m chip ... then proceeded to tell me that if I didn't want that I could "always just go out and buy a new one".  Really?  Thanks for that advice because that had NEVER occurred to me.  All sarcasm and kidding aside, I've got to say that my experience with HP support this week easily ranks high on, if not tops, my list of worst customer service experiences.  Ah well ... I guess someone else was having a bad day too.

And on that note, it's time to wrap this up for another day.  Lots to do and little time to get it done.

No comments: