Saturday, November 13, 2010

Aaannnddd .... we're back

In the last post I mentioned that I was flying out of town for a job interview.  The interview was up and out in Denver, CO and it was a beautiful place to visit.  But as much as I might have wanted to take in the sights, or even try my hand at a little skiing for the first time in my life, I was there with a purpose.  There were people waiting to see me, waiting to grill me over an open fire like a Cornish hen, and waiting to see if I had the "right stuff" to fill the position they needed.  So, how do I think the interview went?

In my mind, I blew it ...



Yep, right out of the gate with one of the first questions I was asked, I "technically" got the answer both wrong and right. "But David," you ask, "how could you possibly get a question both wrong AND right at the same time?"  Well, the short, short version is that a game I used to be intimately familiar with had added a twist a couple of expansions back ... and I missed it.  So my answer, while technically correct, was just a touch outdated.  That little screw-up was all on me, and I was killing myself over it during the course of the rest of the interview.  Still, I kept moving forward, put of my "game face" and jumped right back into the thick of it.  So did I recover from my early blunder enough to prove myself worthy enough to this firing squad to get a stay of execution?

I have no idea ... yet.

The trip's done, the interview is over, and I personally refuse to take a guess at how I did.  One way or another, I'll find out soon enough.  If I get the job then great!!  I'll be running around like the proverbial chicken with its head cut off trying to put things in order ASAP.  And if I DON'T get the job, well then no harm, no fowl (see what I did there?).

All kidding aside, it's all out of my hands now.  So here I am back in town, putting my nose back to the grindstone and taking on some writing assignments while also digging around and poking at other potential job prospects with a sharp stick.  No matter which way this goes, it's helped me to build up my momentum again and I've been enjoying my work a lot more lately.  I even did a little guest hosting gig for the ladies of the Sarcastic Gamer Pink podcast (follow the link and tell me how you think I did).  And I'm even getting back into the groove here, posting a hell of a lot more and fulfilling my promise to you guys for a peek in the life of someone like me in this crazy little industry.

I've still got a ways to go before I really get back into a groove, but it feels like I'm moving along the right track.  Here's hoping the rest of you have fun coming along for the ride.  Cheers!!

No comments: