Friday, November 19, 2010

Unwinding with an Assassin

I decided to try and decompress a little bit this week with all the craziness that's been going on, so I ended up picking up a copy of Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood for the 360.  Y'know, I realize that it's been a while since I bought a game solely for me to have fun with.  No work, no reviews ... just plain ol' pop in the game and unwind.



Let me start off by saying I love the Assassin's Creed franchise.  I still remember my sneak peek of the first game back at E3 years ago, where I thought that THIS was something I had to get my hands on.  I just loved the concept.  Maybe it says something about me, but I love playing the stealth type roles in games.  Whether it's a sniper rifle in Halo or a rogue in World of Warcraft, I love to sneak around and take people out without them ever knowing what hit 'em.  So, a whole game centered around the concept of that mindset?  PLUS the cool blend of historic time periods and a little sci-fi element tossed in for good measure?  Sign me up.

As much as I loved the first Assassin's Creed, it was Assassin's Creed II that cemented my love of the franchise.  After all, as interesting as Altair was, Ezio was a much more developed character.  Oh, and it didn't hurt that it was set during the Renaissance.  And adding cool new gadgets from the mind of Leonardo Da Vinci was just icing on an already tasty cake.  I couldn't get enough of Ezio's adventures ... and apparently I wasn't the only one.  Instead of jumping right into a new set of daggers with Assassin's Creed III, Ubisoft decided to expand more on Ezio's tale with Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood ... or as I like to call it, Assassin's Creed 2 1/2.

So here I am a couple of days later and I've barely scratched the surface of what Brotherhood has to offer.  I'm using whatever spare time I can muster to jump back into the Animus and hone my ass-kicking skills.  If all goes well, I hope to have a little time for some multiplayer fun this weekend too.  Right now, though, I'm having a great time with it, and Brotherhood is easily on my short list for Game of the Year.

Sorry do disappoint you guy who might have been looking here for a full-on review of the game.  Maybe later when I have more time I'll actually do a write up here on everything I love (and even things I don't) about Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.  But the point of this post was just to say that it's been a great way for me to relax and get some stress out of my system, and that the game is something I'd definitely recommend to just about anyone who even thinks they might be interested in it.

One other bit that's COMPLETELY off topic.  While I was at Best Buy earlier this week, I was a copy of The Chronicles of Riddick for the 360 on clearance for $7.50.  I snapped it up in a heartbeat.  If you've never played it and you like shooters or even just like the films, the game's worth grabbing.  I'd have picked it up even if it WASN'T on sale.  It's got a complete remake of the original Xbox's Escape From Butcher's Bay, as well as the new game, plus multiplayer games that put a few new twists on the classic run and gun formula. It's a shame that the game took a pounding in retail, because it was a hell of a lot of fun and was seriously underrated by gamers.  Give it a shot if you get a chance and you won't be disappointed.

Oh ... and I also picked up Bionic Commando for the PS3 at Best Buy too.  It was only $5.  Is it a great game? Nope.  Is it worth $5? Yep.  Hell, for less than the price of lunch or even a rental, it's worth it.

No comments: