Friday, July 01, 2005

Video Games ... they're "fan"tastic

Things have been crazy lately for me on the work front. Ended up with two rush review jobs, which I wrapped up and got posted today over at GameSpy. The first is for the new Atlus RPG, Riviera: The Promised Land (GBA). Riviera is a fun RPG title, but it's also one you'll definitely have to put some time into. I almost gave it a lower score than it has now, simply because it takes a while to really get into the game and to get used to unique quirks the game offers. Luckily, I kept at it and was pleasantly surprised. Check it out if you get the chance.

The other review was for the new Fantastic Four video game. Technically it was three reviews, as I had to check out the Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube versions. So it's no secret that comics are invading the mainstream a lot these days. And with the new FF movie coming out, you knew that the obligatory video game tie-in couldn't be far behind. Well, thankfully for both comic fans AND gamers, the developers did a great job of keeping the FF true to their roots. While it's not the greatest comic-based game ever, it's actually pretty good. Plus, it shares more than a few gameplay elements with one of my favorite comic games, X-Men Legends. Also, there's a LOT of unlockable extras in the FF game, including some pretty cool interviews with the cast of the film, and none other than Stan Lee himself.

There's a lot of other things currently in the works for me as well. First off, I'm beginning work on my week long GameSpy series focusing on the relationship between the comic book and video game industries. The series should coincide with my coverage of Comic-Con International. I've already got more than a few interviews lined up for both the feature series and for Comic-Con. If you're going to be at the con, let me know.

There are a couple of other interesting projects I'm working on as well. I won't go into too many details right now, but for all those people who make the joke "You have a face for radio" ... well, you may be more right than you know where I'm concerned.

1 comment:

Lefty said...

Drop me a email (leftybrown at gmail dot com) so we can meet up at the con, maybe near the end of a day, because I'll have some DVDs I want to hand to you for you to bring back to Shane for y'alls viewing. Maybe we can get some drinks and rag on Shane or something.....ummm he doens't actually READ your blog does he?